Our Home for the PMI
The Prahran Mechanics' Institute is open at its new location at 39 St Edmonds Road, Prahran.
The new building has some improvements we think our members and visitors will appreciate:
- more shelf space for the collection
- more seating room for reading and research
- a public tea room with a small kitchen, urn and microwave
- a dedicated volunteer work room (the Furneaux Room)
- a large multipurpose meeting room (the Moss Room) which can be partitioned off to provide another smaller space for meetings, reading and research
- disabled access (for the first time ever in the history of the PMI!)
- some on-site parking (inside the ground floor garage door)
Take a look at the new PMI Victorian History Library
The PMI is incorporated under the Prahran Mechanics’ Institute Act No 1617 (1899) and operates under the Rules of the Prahran Mechanics' Institute and Circulating Library, gazetted in the Victorian Parliament on 24 July 2007.
At the 2019 AGM held on Tuesday 24 November 2020 the members voted in favour to adopt Model Rules under the Associations Reform Act (2012) as a first step in rescinding our Act as a long term measure to change how we chart our destiny.
Members are provided with copies of the PMI legislation and Library Policy on request, and can join our mailing list to receive committee meeting minutes.
The PMI is administered by a committee of seven people - six elected by the members of the PMI at the annual general meeting for a four year term of office and one person appointed by the City of Stonnington.
- Dr Michelle Cleary (President)
- Cr Mike Scott (Vice President) (City of Stonnington representative)
- Mr Ben Quin, CPA (Treasurer)
- Mr Denys Correll
- Ms Judith Ellis
- Mr Chris Michalopoulos
- Ms Isabella Webster
- Ellen Coates (BA (Hons); MA (Info. Stud.)) (Collections Librarian / Volunteer Coordinator)
- Riannon Berkeley (Library Officer - Events and Grants)
The Prahran Mechanics' Institute was very privileged to have Keith Dunstan OAM as Life Member and Patron 2009-2013.