The PMI Library is a community owned and run library specialising in the history of Victoria, Australia.
We have over 30,000 books for loan and a professional information service for our members. We provide a central resource for research into the history of Victoria.
Joining is easy, affordable and open to all.
Re-opening of PMI
The PMI will reopen on Tuesday 23 February 2021 from 10.00am. Please note that masks are mandatory when at PMI.
Our opening hours remain unchanged at this stage and will be Tuesdays to Thursdays 10.00am to 4.00pm.
Stay safe and take care.
2021 Creative Writing Competition for Children aged 4 to 12
Presented by the PMI Victorian History Library with financial support from the Victorian Government's Department of Education and Training.
We understand that celebrating Children’s Week was a little difficult in 2020 and so we are re-opening our free online Creative Writing Competition for Children on Monday 1 February 2021! We believe that sharing stories with friends, family and role models can help us to feel safe, and, also help people into the future remember the important and interesting things that happened to us. So, we are asking for children over the summer, or when school returns, to:
Type up a story told to you by a grandparent, parent, carer, aunty, uncle or elder, about their friends when they were your age. What kind of adventures did they get up to? How were things different then? What made their friendships special?
- The competition will re-open Monday 1 February 2021.
- The competition will close Thursday 1 April 2021 at 4pm.
- In light of coronavirus (COVID-19) this competition is online and to take part entries must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Entry is free but each entry is limited to 1 page.
- A $100 prize will be awarded to 1 story from each age group: 4-6, 7-9, 10-12.
- All entries will be published in a book to be held in the PMI's library collection.
- The PMI will announce the winners on Friday 30 April 2021.
- For full terms and conditions please visit the PMI's blog https://institutingthepast.wordpress.com/2020/10/28/pmi-short-story-competition/
- If you would like to speak to someone for further information about the PMI and our activities, please email email@example.com or call the PMI Victorian History Library Tuesdays to Thursdays 10.00am to 4.00pm on 03 9510 3393 or AH on 0432 012 118.
Judges will include author and writing educator Rafael Ward.
Our judges will pick the story that: Best captures an interesting historic experience; Has a good grasp of ideas and language appropriate to the child’s age and is engaging and tells a narrative story. We'd love to make this available to as many children across Australia as possible so please share with your networks and any children in your educational, work, social or family circles who might be interested.
Our new PMI Committee
At the first Committee meeting following the 2019 AGM our new Committee is comprised as follows:
- Dr Michelle Cleary - President
- Cr Mike Scott - Vice President and Stonnington Council representative
- Mr Ben Quin CPA - Treasurer
- Mr Denys Correll
- Ms Judith Ellis
- Mr Chris Michalopoulos