Prahran Mechanics’ Institute Press helps individuals and historical groups publish works about the history of Victoria, Australia. The not-for-profit service was established through a Mechanics’ Institutes Community Partnerships Grant from the Department of Victorian Communities in 2004.
PMI Press has already published 15 Victorian history books covering topics including:
- Victoria generally
- Cities, townships, regions and localities within Victoria
- Victorian businesses
- Victorian schools, churches, clubs and community organisations
- Genealogies of families of prominence within an area of Victoria and/or incorporating a significant proportion of history about the area (straight genealogies without a Victorian emphasis will generally not be accepted for publication)
See a list of PMI Press books and details of how to buy them.
PMI Press provides:
- Management of the publishing project in consultation with the author
- Editing, design, layout and printing by our partner BookPOD (at reduced rates for PMI Press)
- Allocation of an international standard book number, submission of cataloguing-in-publication information to the National Library of Australia
- Information and advice regarding issues such as copyright and ensuring that legal deposit requirements are met. Copyright remains with the author.
- Promotion of the publication using:
- a promotional flier and order form
- a launch of the publication (if practical) at the Prahran Mechanics’ Institute Victorian History Library
- a feature article in the Prahran Mechanics’ Institute newsletter
- listing and order form on the Prahran Mechanics’ Institute Press website