Books for Sale
The following books are available for sale at the PMI. Members receive 10% discount. Books can be posted, but to PMI members only.
Please note, the PMI does not have credit card facilities available. All sales are cash only.
Prahran Mechanics’ Institute Press publications:
- Valuable steps: a history of physical education in Victoria / Garry Powell, 312p, $35
- Beginnings: a brief account of some of the first Europeans to explore or settle in Victoria / Frank Hutchinson, 122p, $15
- Design for living: a history of ‘Prahran Tech’ / Judith Buckrich, 276p, $35
- Frontier French Island / Ruth Gooch, 317p, $50
- No shops in Acland Street: the autobiography of an entertaining lady / Helene Jacoby Swieca, 203p, $29.95
- Buildings books and beyond: Mechanics’ Worldwide Conference 2004, 430p, $20
- Where Did All the Blacksmiths Go? / Shirley Xanthos, 185p, $34.95
Prahran Historical & Arts Society books:
- History of Prahran 1836-1924 / J.B. Cooper, 372 p, $65
- Discovering Prahran area one / Betty Malone, 51 p, $7
- Discovering Prahran area two / Betty Malone, 59 p, $7
- Discovering Prahran area three / Betty Malone, 72 p, $11
- Discovering Prahran area four / Betty Malone, 72 p, $11
- Discovering Prahran area five / Betty Malone, 72 p, $11
- Discovering Prahran area six / Betty Malone, 56 p, $11
- Discovering Prahran area seven / Betty Malone, 68 p, $11
- Discovering Prahran area eight / Betty Malone, 68 p, $11
- Warrandyte: the Community with a Heart of Gold / Murray Houghton, 300 p, $40
- The pride of Prahran: a history of the Prahran Library 1860-2010 / Stella M. Barber, 152 p, $25
- Two squatters: the lives of George Playne and Daniel Jennings / Martin J Playne, 409 p, $35
- Exceptional Australian garden makers / Anne Vale, 198 p, $40
- These walls speak volumes: a history of mechanics’ institutes in Victoria / Pam Baragwanath and Ken James, 704 p, $80 (2016 Overall winner – Victorian Community History Award)
- Ubiquitous and necessary : Australia’s mechanics’ institutes and schools of arts etc : a research guide / Pam Baragwanath and Ken James. 696 pages. $50.
- The Political is Personal: a Twentieth Century Memoir / Judith Buckrich, 405 p, $30)
- The Village of Ripponlea / Judith Buckrich, 76p, $30 (2016 Local History Small Publication Award – Victorian Community History Awards)
Secondhand Books for Sale
We have a huge number of second hand and ex-library books available for sale. Keep an eye on this page for news of our next members’ book sale.