Books for Sale
The following books are available for sale at the PMI. Members receive 10% discount. Books can be posted, but to PMI members only.
In addition to cash payments, the PMI can now accept payments via EFTPOS. We are able to accept most major credit cards.
Prahran Mechanics’ Institute Press publications:
- Valuable steps: a history of physical education in Victoria / Garry Powell, 312p, $35
- Beginnings: a brief account of some of the first Europeans to explore or settle in Victoria / Frank Hutchinson, 122p, $15
- Design for living: a history of ‘Prahran Tech’ / Judith Buckrich, 276p, $35
- Frontier French Island / Ruth Gooch, 317p, $50
- No shops in Acland Street: the autobiography of an entertaining lady / Helene Jacoby Swieca, 203p, $29.95
- Buildings books and beyond: Mechanics’ Worldwide Conference 2004, 430p, $20
- Where Did All the Blacksmiths Go? / Shirley Xanthos, 185p, $34.95
Prahran Historical & Arts Society books:
- Discovering Prahran area one / Betty Malone, 51 p, $5
- Discovering Prahran area two / Betty Malone, 59 p, $5
- Discovering Prahran area three / Betty Malone, 72 p, $5
- Discovering Prahran area four / Betty Malone, 72 p, $5
- Discovering Prahran area five / Betty Malone, 72 p, $5
- Discovering Prahran area six / Betty Malone, 56 p, $5
- Discovering Prahran area seven / Betty Malone, 68 p, $5
- Discovering Prahran area eight / Betty Malone, 68 p, $5
- Warrandyte: the Community with a Heart of Gold / Murray Houghton, 300 p, $40
- The pride of Prahran: a history of the Prahran Library 1860-2010 / Stella M. Barber, 152 p, $25
- Two squatters: the lives of George Playne and Daniel Jennings / Martin J Playne, 409 p, $35
- Exceptional Australian garden makers / Anne Vale, 198 p, $40
- These walls speak volumes: a history of mechanics’ institutes in Victoria / Pam Baragwanath and Ken James, 704 p, $80 (2016 Overall winner – Victorian Community History Award)
- Ubiquitous and necessary : Australia’s mechanics’ institutes and schools of arts etc : a research guide / Pam Baragwanath and Ken James. 696 pages. $50.
- The Political is Personal: a Twentieth Century Memoir / Judith Buckrich, 405 p, $30)
- The Village of Ripponlea / Judith Buckrich, 76p, $30 (2016 Local History Small Publication Award – Victorian Community History Awards)
Secondhand Books for Sale
We have a huge number of second hand and ex-library books available for sale. Keep an eye on this page for news of our next members’ book sale.