As the PMI Victorian History Library Inc. receives no regular public funding, the subscriptions and donations of members continue to be important to the operation the library service. All donations are tax deductible.
You can make a donation by PayPal below. (You do not need to have a PayPal account to do this.)
You can also make a donation to the PMI in person at the library or by sending a cheque/money order to: PMI Victorian History Library Inc., 39 St Edmonds Road, Prahran VIC 3181.
Donated items contribute significantly to the collection with many rare and unique donated items being added to the library. Before being accepted into the collection, donations are assessed against the following criteria:
- Adherence to the Collection Policy.
- Content of the item (detail, authority etc.).
- Whether there is an existing copy in the collection and if it is considered worthwhile to have a second or third copy. Second and third copies are only kept for high use items and local histories.
The PMI reserves the right to refuse to accept any item based on the above criteria and as a general rule, we will not accept:
- Audio-visual material (DVDs, CDs, VHS tapes, etc.).
- Journals unless they are on Australian history.
- Newspapers unless it is a specific edition which has importance to the history of Victoria (for example a first edition of The Age or The Argus). This exclusion includes microfilm and microfiche.
- Non-book materials (i.e. objects).
- Ephemeral material is considered on a case by case basis in line with the collection policy.
In the case of photographic material (including slides), consideration will be given to accepting images on the following criteria:
- Adherence to our Collection Policy.
- Whether there are any copyright or licensing restrictions imposed on the item, i.e. can the items be used for marketing purposes?
PMI Book Sale Donation Policy
Material that is donated to the PMI that does not meet with the PMI’s Collection Policy will go into the PMI’s book sale. The PMI’s Book Sale runs twice a year for PMI members as well as running a semi regular pop up shop and selling some material online. Money raised from the sale of books goes straight back to the PMI.
The PMI’s Booksale cannot accept all material as it is run by the Friends of the PMI who are volunteers and there is material that simply doesn’t sell.
Therefore the PMI’s Booksale will not accept:
- Fiction (including literary and poetry)
- Craft Book & Magazines
- Children’s Books
We ask that any boxes of donations are sorted before they are donated to the PMI. The PMI endeavours to find homes for any books that do not sell after a significant period of time, but ultimately some books may be recycled as the PMI does not have indefinite space for storage.
A donation form must be filled out by the donor specifying if they are happy for their donation to be sold by the PMI if it doesn’t meet the above criteria.
Wanting to renew or reserve library items?
Our regular newsletter features information about what is happening at the library, upcoming events and articles about Victorian history.
Subscribe to the PMI Newsletter below